Sunday, January 20, 2008

Trip to INDIA - 03 Mumbai



MUMBAI .

13 January 2008

Dear Friends and Family

My first visit in Mumbai was to the Gate to India (a 10 minutes walk from my hotel). The Gate was the departure point for the last of the British troops in 1948 on their way back to Tilbury. This is a very popular place for the tourists and the locals alike. It is also the departure point for many boat trips including the “must-do” one-hour trip to Elephanta Island, the site of some carved-rocks caves. From the Gate I walked along the waterfront to the Cobala Market.This is were the fish caught earlier in the morning is sold. Is it really fresh I wondered? You bet it is, I saw a fish trying to escape by jumping off the display table. A move that I found somewhat riky with all the hungry cats roaming around the market.

The next day I took the boat to Elephanta Island, so named because of the colossal statue of an elephant that was discovered on the island. The statue was removed, rebuilt, and is know on display in a museum. The Main cave is reached from the island’s pier by climbing 120 steps to the top of the island. The Main Cave complex carved out of the side of a solid-rock vertical hill face includes; a large cave, some smaller caves, and two open courtyards. The caves are full of integral non-structural square columns and many statues related to the life of Shiva. Shiva, the Destroyer of Evil, is the third god of the Hindu Trinity. The first god of the Hindu trinity is Brahama, the Creator. The second god of the Trinity is Vishnu, the Preserver (sounds somewhat familiar). The statues, about 18 ft in height, are also in integral part of the caves, and what has been preserved is beautifully detailed. Not much is known about the origins of the caves estimated to be dated back to the 8th century. I took a picture of a local woman selling bananas, other fruits, vegetables, and knick-knacks. As soon as I bought some bananas several of the very agressive local monkeys ran toward me. Based on my recollection of an unpleasant past experience I decided that I better share the bananas with the monkeys. I threw one banana to the left, one to the right, and proceed to peel the third one. I barely had time to eat it even with the help of woman who kept the monkeys away with a long stick.

Mumbai is a very busy, chaotic, noisy, polluted city. Cats and dogs are everywhere, along with free-roaming cows and goats. In the other end Mumbai has some colorful market places and the most beautiful buildings in all of India (I am told). The one that surprised me the most were the High Court and the University of Bombay buildings. They were built to look like 15th century Italian masterpieces, complete with the octagonal stairway towers (like one of the French castles). I eventually went back to the fish market to take some pictures. Not an easy task with the number of people milling around.

Tomorrow I will be moving to Aurangabad with the 9:10 pm sleeper train. We should arrive around 4:00 am the next day. I already reserved a room in an hotel close to the train station.

Love and peace - henri



No comments: