Sunday, June 6, 2010

Eastern Europe - Novi Sad. Serbia

The Main Square and the Cathedral


Email No 33. Novi Sad. Serbia

Novi Sad should be renamed Very Sad. I was there, in this “not so interesting town” for three long rainy days. It is in a way a good thing that I had to spent some of my time to find out how to get from here to Pecs in Hungary. I had to go from Belgrade to Subotica by train, then another train was supposed to take me across the border with Hungary to Szeged were I had to get a bus to get to Pecs. First of all, we waited for the train in Subotica for over an hour. When they finally decided the train was not coming they brought a funny looking one diesel-powered car (it looked like a bus on rail ).We started and after a while we slowed down to a crawling speed due to rails being in a very bad shape. When we finally arrived at the border we got off and get to a parallel rail in another similar contraption. The Hungarian border control made me open my backpack (a first on this trip) apparently to check for cigarettes and alcohol.

We finally arrived in Szeged and I looked for an ATM to get some Hungarian money. The only one at the station at a red cross drawn across it !? I had to find another one away from the station. Now I had to go to the Szeged Bus Station. I entered the first shop I found and somehow asked the attending woman if she could call a taxi. Which she did. I got to the bus station just in time for the 2:00 pm bus to Pecs. Nothing short of a miracle as this is the bus I had intended to take. This was a long 12 hours trip!

Back to Novi Sad. The main reason I went to Novi Sad is to see the Petrovaradin Citadel and the museums it contains. The rain stopped for a while on my last day and I bravely walked over the Danube to visit it. There I met a couple of nice people from France and after our visit we walk back together and had a good meal in a very nice restaurant. Definitely my most pleasant day in Novi Sad.

Next Pecs in Hungary

No comments: