Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Trip to INDIA - 09 ALLEPPEY - VARKALA

ALLEPPEY - VARKALA

11 February 2008

Dear Friends and Family

First a rickshaw to the ferry terminal, then a ferry ride to the terminal on mainland Ernakulam, then another rickshaw ride to the Central Bus Station in Ernakulam,and then a two hours ride by bus finally got me the Cental Bus Station in Alleppey. At the station I met a couple French people who were staying in a fairly large complex located around two tropical gardens. I ended up booking a room in the same hotel.

Alleppey is cut by two canals connected to the Arabian Sea and running parallel thru the city. At the other end the canals are connected to 900 km of waterways (backwaters) that fringe the coast and wind far inland. The main reason to come here is to take a boat ride thru the backwaters. There is a choice of boat size, trip length, and prices. The boats cross shallow, palm-fringed lakes, and travel along narrow, shady canals used by boat that carry coconut fiber, coconut meat, and cashews. Along the way are small villages and processing facilities. We decided to hire a small boat that came with two rowers, a man and his blind father. We stopped a couple times, once to take a hike thru rice fields and listen to our guide who showed us different kind of plants and animals (including large bats!). Unfortunatly, access to some of the canals were blocked by a parasite, very invasive plant that floats over the water surface and makes travel very difficult for paddle boats. Anyways, a very pleasant and relaxing day.

I have told you about some of the stuff we have to cope with, such as; losing electrical power, no hot water available. My last day in town, there was no water (hot or cold) available for the best part of the day.

The 9 th February I moved to Varkala, 2 hours away by train. From the train station I took a rickshaw to the beach area. The tourists facilities, hotels, stores, restaurants are located along a narrow pedestrian path winding its way along the top of a cliff situated 150 ft above the sea. I am half way thru my trip, I need a few days to relax, and this is the perfect place to do it. I found a reasonable place, a little off the path with a view on the water. I eat most of my meal in the restaurant that stands between my hotel and the water. It is run by a very nice family and they have decent food, even oatmeal and banana pancakes! They have three children a 12 years old boy, an older daughter, and a 6 years old boy that they adopted off the street when his parents both died. The two boys help around, they take the orders, and the 12 years old will remember what was ordered, add it all up in his head and tell you how much you owe.

There is no lack of activities to do around here: There are several very nice nearby beaches (some with black sand), there is a Kathakali theater five minutes from my hotel, elephant rides are not too far away. In addition, yoga classes, meditation classes, Ayurvedic massages are available nearby. I will spent some time on the beach, maybe take in a Kathakali show, but I will generally eat, drink some beer (served illegally under the table!), catch up with email and postcards, read (I bought 4 books, including the last of the Harry Potter) and generally hang around.

Varkala (lat 8 deg 44’ N is the most southern location on my trip. From here I will generally move in a northeastern direction. My next stop is Madurai

Love and peace - henri


No comments: