Saturday, April 24, 2010

Eastern Europe - Kamyanets-Poilsky. Ukraine
















The Castel




Iron work in Old Town


Email 24 – Kamyanets – Podilsky. Ukraine

Getting from Suceava in Romania was not a trivial task. It requires the use of those unpredictable minibuses. I taught that after my first trip around the world I would never have to deal with this kind of Unscheduled transportation. Obviously, even in a country that belongs to the European Community , there is no centralization of the transport system!

Anyway, my friend from Singapore left (sort of!) the day before I was scheduled to leave. Then, In the afternoon of the same day, Monica told me that she was coming back because she needed a visa to cross the border to Ukraine. So she came back (she had to be picked-up of course) in mid-afternoon and I went with her to the Ukrainian Consulate. In fact, I think that she was lucky that there is one in Suceava. Here, after several agonizing phone call from the consulate to ???. they told her that she should come back the following day by 9:00 am. Now, follows this, the woman told me that her Ukranian minibus had left at 10:30 am. Monica told me that I should go to the minibus area by about 11:00. I was getting a bit concerned by this time. So, I went to the minibus area in the afternoon and there was the an Ukranian minibus waiting there at around 2:00 pm? I tried to find the time I should be there the next day and he could not tell me because he was not driving the next day?! He suggested that to be safe I should be at the stop by about 7:00 am ?

Next day: I finally decided to go there at about 10:00 am, and to make a long story short, The minibus left at about 2:30. Now, and more puzzling yet, the Singapore woman did not show up and I assumed that she was held up for her visa. Yet, to my surprised, I met her in Chernivtsi (the minibus terminal point) and she asked me where had I been ? Unfortunately, I was rushing for the connecting bus to KP and I did not have time to talk to her. However, I was glad that she made it. I have no idea how she could possibly be there before me since I did not even see her at the minibus area??

I had a connecting bus to KP. 10 minutes later, fortunately, right across the street. I made it to KP around 4 pm and had a serious problem finding the hostel. The reason is that I booked my hostel at a web site call hostelworld, and they let the owners provide the directions (they provide a totally useless map). The hostel is west of the bus station and the instruction said to go East. When I finally query the young woman running the hostel this is what she responded with “ Well, isn’t the bus station east of the hostel?” No comments!

About the hostel, let say that, even if you are a “minimalist” you might still think this is a bit short of the minimum one would expect. However, being the only customer there, I had the run of the place. The woman does not stay there. She could not, has there is no reception area anyway. She wasn’t even there when I showed up and I needed a stranger’s help (he was not really a stranger, he was just another form of my ever present “guardian angel”) to get on his cell phone and call her.

KP is a very nice city with some interesting sights. The very scenic “fortified old town” overlooking a very scenic gorge is home to several churches and a very popular old castle.

A nice pleasant visit, made even better by the fact I am sitting here writing this email wit a free wireless connection in a place called “London”. They also have good food.

Tonight I am taking a nite train to Kiev. See you there.

No comments: