Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eastern Europe - Dubrovnik - Croatia


The port


The Old Town

Email no 8. – Dubrovnick

The trip from Split to Dubrovnick along the Adriatic Coast was is very pleasant and very scenic.

I checked in the Youth Hostel and found myself alone in a 4-bed dorm. As a matter of fact, the staff left at 8:00 pm and I found myself alone in this 82 bed hotel. The next couple days there were more guest at the hostel (not in my dorm). I was also able to do lite cooking in a small kitchen, in short, a bargain at 12 euro a night.

The traffic-free Old Town is completely surrounded by a high wall. The highlight of a visit of Dubrovnik is definitely the 2 km walk on top of the wall for a bird-view of the town and the for the opportunity to see how many roof tiles had to be replaced after the Serbian attack that started on October 1, 1991.(about 2/3).

There are many interesting buildings and attractions in the Old Town. Three religions are represented by one Synagogue, one Serbian Orthodox church ad several Catholic churches and monasteries (Croatia is predominately Catholic).

There is a classic picture of Dubrovnik that appears in all the touristic publications. (see my picture!)

To get that picture I had to hike away some distance from town and then climb to side of Mount Srd.

A steep hike and hundreds of steps took me to a suitable location. A fun project!

Next Kotor, another medievPost Optionsal walled town, this time in Montenegro.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dubrovnic is a great city. I loved it when I was there. Did you get to walk inside the walls at night when they flood the marble streets with water. If you get a chance, try taking your shoes off and doing this. It is a very interesting sensation on your feet...almost "soft"?

What did you think of the birds in the city as well, and all the cats they have running around all over the place.. Very interesting experience there for sure.

Keep writing Henri, we love the stories and info..

Take Care

Marc