Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eastern Europe - Kotor - Montenegro

Bay of Kotor


Orthodox Church


No 9. Email - 27 Feb.

Montenegro – Kotor

Kotor is another medieval walled city. It sits at the head of Southern Europe’s deepest fjord. It is roughly triangular in shape. One side is along the waterfront, one side along a river, the third side is close to the foot of a steep cliff. On top of the cliff is an old fortress that can be reached by a steep trail.

The weather was very changeable for the three days that I was there. Mostly changing from very cloudy to rain, with practically no sun. That did not stop, Laurent, a Frenchman I met there, two young women, and myself to climb to the top in the company of one those light persistent rain (we get some of these in Seattle). In the process, found out that it is not easy to use my heavy Nikon while holding an umbrella!

It is Karnival time in Kotor and they have all sorts of activity taking place. I went to an evening concert.

There were several signing groups from the area. I was the only tourist there,and when I asked someone some info about the concert, I was approached by the women journalist who happened to be there for the event. She took my picture and asked me a bunch of question! Maybe I am now a celebrity in some unknown local newspaper. I did not bother to find out as I was leaving the next day anyway.

As I was planning my move to Albania’s town of Tirana, I found a few interesting facts.

First none of the four banks I contacted had Albanian money (in Albania they use their own money, the Leke). Also I could not find any info about buses past the border between Montenegro and Albania. It is almost like the world ends at the border! The very nice women at the hostel gave me the info that they had. As it turned out it was almost accurate. The number of busses I needed to reach Tirana was four, which turned to be right. The timing was off but did work out ok. I left Kotor at 7:30 am and got to Tirana at 4:00 PM, a very long day.

In spite of the no-so good weather in had a real good time in Kotor.

Next Tirana.

No comments: