Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ljubljana - SLOVENIA

















One of the Dragons at the "Dragon Bridge"



The Main Square (view from the Castle)


No 4 Email – Ljubljana (Slovenia)

I left Prague with a late afternoon 17.16 train with a change in Salzburg (Austria). A long 13 hours trip to Ljubljana (including more than an hour between trains in Salzburg). I am trying this system of travelling by night trains, thus saving a potential day of sight-seeing and one hotel night. So far so good! Of course I would not do this if the trip would include some not-to-miss scenery.

I am having some more (small) difficulties with trains. In Salzburg, I went to the appropriate platform and there was already a train there. I asked one of the passengers if this was the train to Ljubljana and he say ”No,this is the train to Venice.” As a matter of fact, I could not find any coach with my coach’s number. The listing showed two separate trains, going to two different destinations, on the same track, at the same time. Everything became clear when they finally attached another train section to the existing one. The whole train will travel to one city and then the two sections will each have their own engine and go their own ways.

On the train I engaged into a conversation with a man from Norway. He had a pair of skis with him and was going meet some friends in one of the Austrian ski area. I told me that he had the best job on earth. He was working as an electrician on one of the floating oil rigs off the coast of Norway.

His work schedule: 2 full weeks “on” and 4 full weeks “off” (that 1/3 of the year working, and 2/3 of the year on vacations!). The job pays over $100,000/year, and he can make extra money by working extra time! There are of course two other people doing the same job, and they can combine their working times to get a longer vacation. I guess on my first European trip I told you I thought Norway was a great country!

In Ljubljana, I checked at the “Alibri 14” hostel, 5 minutes away for the train station and 3 minutes away from the Main Square! I am alone in a 10-bed dorms! (yes, there are advantages in travelling at this time of the year).

Talking about the season, I have experienced very good weather. In Prague, the sun came out every single day, in Ljubljana we had two cloudy days with one day of rain. The temperature stays above freezing during the day. I have yet to use all the layers of clothing that I carry (3 out of a possible 5).

Ljubljana is a very nice town with a river, a few interesting sights and a great ambiance.

Ljubljana is also famous for the great architect Joze Plecnikand who shaped the town, and for France Preseren the great poet whose statue stands on a large base near the middle of the main square.

In ancient time, Ljubljana was on trade route connecting the Mediterranean to the Black Sea, and has a long history of being run and occupied by Romans, Huns, Slavs, Austrians, Italians, Germans.

Today, Ljubljana is the capital of one of Europe’s youngest nation.

I boarded a train for the 1:45 hours ride to Divica to visit the nearby Skocjan Caves. The Caves are listed as a Unesco World Heritage Site and feature the largest underground chasm in all of Europe.

When I arrived in Divica (3 km away from the caves) I followed my guide book advice to go to the nearby café outside the Station for information’s and map. They had no idea what I was talking about?! (obviously they did not read the guide book!). A man stepped up and pointed in the direction of a blue van, stationed on the other side of the square, he told me that this van goes to the cave and it is free.

I hesitated because I still have plenty of time to walk to the cave. The man said “It will take you one hour, and it is going to rain”. I step out of the café as I am ready to follow his advise, but then I am thinking ‘I hope there is restaurant at the cave so that I will have a place to wait for the cave’s tour.

So,I turned around, and went back in the café, they ensure me that there is in fact a restaurant. I stepped out, and guess what, the van is gone!! (I am really out of sync. with the transportation systems these days).

Actually: 1. It did not rain. 2. It took me less than 45 minutes t get to the caves. 3. The restaurant is closed in winter!

The 2.5 km, 2-hour guided walking tour of the Skocjan Caves involves hundreds of steps, a narrow bridge walk over a recessed portion of the chasm, with the roaring river below. Along the way are many colorful stalactites, stalagmites, columns, and other interesting formations. A must do for visitors of Slovenia!

Next: Sarajevo in Bosnia.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a nice wordtravelin cousin!